|Story Mound as it appeared prior to the 1897 excavation.|
|Implements found in Story Mound.|
Story Mound (also known as Chillicothe Mound #5) is a large, round earthen Adena mound located in Chillicothe, Ohio. It dates somewhere between 800 B.C. and 100 A.D. It was named after the land owner Mr. Story. The mound is easily visible from the street, but has a fence around it that prevents access. It is on a lot that is almost 1 acre in area and is 19.5 feet high with a basal diameter of 95 feet.
Story Mound was completely excavated in 1897 by Clarence Loveberry commencing on May 17th of that year. During the excavation, postmolds were discovered that formed an almost perfect circle, 15 feet in diameter. The posts ranged from 4 to 12 inches in diameter and were space several inches apart. At least some were squared at the bottom. This excavation was the first evidence of round structures used to enclose funeral rituals under Adena mounds. Inside the wooden enclosure near the north wall was buried a young man with a thick skull who has been laid to rest facing north. The skeleton was badly deteriorated. Funeral implements included chalcedony spears, a beveled ornament coated with red paint, dear antler awls, and bone beads. The wooden structure or building was burned after its use and was buried under the mound.
Story Mound is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was acquired by the State of Ohio in 1950.
Warren K. Morehead, "Report of Field Work in Various Portions of Ohio," Ohio Archaeological and Historical Publications, vol. 7, p. 131-135.