| John Bidwell | Trail Guide | Historical Background | Aug 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19-20 | 21-22 | 23 |
| 24-25 | 26 | Aug 27 - Sep 4 | 5 | 6 | 7-8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | All Photos |

September 12, 1841

EEmigrant Trail Coming From Owl Spring
This is a view to the north showing an old emigrant trail coming from Owl Spring, where the trees are just right of center of the photo. Could the Bidwell Party have pioneered this trail?

Continue southeast 0.1 miles to the junction with a road that goes southwest. Travel 0.3 miles on this road to where a wagon trail crosses to the southwest. This trail was probably established by the Bidwell-Bartleson party traveling from the spring. Continue southwest 0.9 miles to the JUNCTION (2.5 miles) with the Lucin/Wendover road.

Travel south on the Lucin/Wendover road 3.3 miles to the old Central Pacific Railroad grade and a historical sign. Continue southwest to where the road crosses the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks. On the south side of the railroad, and east of the road crossing, is LUCIN (5.4 miles). Occupied by employees of the Central Pacific and Southern Pacific railroads, Lucin was a small railroad town on the west side of the Great Salt Lake Desert. Today, the railroad crosses Great Salt Lake. The town's name comes from a local fossil (Lucina Subanta).

Continue south to the (5.8 miles) top of the hill, where there is a dirt road going to a spring at the foot of the mountain. This spring is the 12 SEPTEMBER CAMPSITE. James John wrote:

"We travelled about 10 miles today southwest and camped at a excellent spring near a large plain covered with salt partly surrounded by high mountains."

Emigrant Trail Going toward Lucin Emigrant Trail Going toward Lucin
This is the same trail from Owl Springs looking south going toward Lucin where the railroad is now. This aerial photo shows the old emigrant trail going back across the Grouse Creek to Wendover gravel road. Near here the Bidwell Party found water coming out of one of the canyons and camped on Sept. 12th, 1841. When the railroad came through Lucin in 1869, they captured several streams of water and piped it to Lucin for the steam engines.

September 11, 1841 September 13, 1841

contact us - copyright & disclaimer - search - privacy statement