|This air photo shows one of several springs south of the Sept. 12th campsite. Based on the mileage recorded by the emigrants they stopped at s spring once called Shibley Springs which is close to this area.|
Continue south on the Lucin/Wendover road. A wagon trail crosses the road at 4.2 miles from the northeast and then crosses again going southeast. This trail probably was established by the Bidwell-Bartleson party. At 8.9 miles there is an abandoned house on the right. Continue southeast then south to SHIBLEY SPRINGS (13.2 miles), on the left. This is the 13 SEPTEMBER CAMPSITE. The rail post marker on the left side of the road by the fence corner reads:
First Overland Emigrant Party
"Today we traveled about 15 miles on a south course, leaving large salt plains [on] our left and high mountains to the right and camped at a spring of good water this evening."
James John, September 13, 1841
2000 Utah Crossroads Chapter - OCTA BBU-13
|September 12, 1841||September 14, 1841|